Parish History

Carpenter Seeks Followers

It is well known that Jesus Christ was born the son of a carpenter. But did you also know that Anglican services in Haywards Heath were started on Sunday afternoons in the loft above a carpenter’s shop near the Station in early 1856?

The Church’s progress, like the town’s, has been rapid. We now have four Church of England places of worship in Haywards Heath - in three parishes working together as a Group Ministry to the people of the town. Our churches deliver the same Good News as was brought to the new railway townspeople from Cuckfield Parish in 1856.

A short history of St Wilfrid's Church, which celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2015, can be found here:

St Wilfrids

St Wilfrid’s Church as it was

St Wilfrids Primary School

St Wilfrid’s CEP School at its original site in South Road. Today the school is in Eastern Road.

The Presentation Church

The Presentation Church (centre) with the original Church (front, used as the Hall 1882-1979) and Vicarage (rebuilt in the early 1990s)